Translate

Saturday 2 June 2012

Please don't package


To understand Jesus and the purpose of our life requires a big picture. It strikes me that some Christians get the big picture wrong. Although many would deny it, I find that many often start with theory and abstract ideas. Wrong place.

The key issues are nothing to do with whether you are conservative or liberal. Calvinist or Arminian. The real question is whether you believe in a product or in participation. Packaging the Gospel?

When I listen to some of my brothers and sisters it strikes me that they think of the Gospel in terms of product. It's something to offer. Something to encourage others to take. Something that people need to
be persuaded that they need or want. Sell it to them and once they are hooked, reel them in.

I just can't begin to think of the Gospel that I know and read of in Scripture in this way. The gospel I believe in begins with being, leads to doing and ends up in telling and rejoicing - real evangelism.

How do we get there? Perhaps the best place to start for people who are already Christian and in church is to stop asking the question, 'how can we attract people to our church?'. That's a question about selling a product. Better starting with the question, 'How can we meaningfully serve people and show them Christlike love?'

When you and the people you gather with begin to ask this question, then you're on the way to becoming a church that is addressing the big picture. Please don't package the Gospel.