Translate

Sunday 24 June 2012

Full Atonement

Propitiation and expiation: the difference. I remember once watching a young Christian cry in anguish on not being able to understand a sermon explaining the difference. That was 35 years ago. Well, I've preached some difficult sermons myself, I suppose. But these days, I'm concerned that people I listen to can occasionally betray a true, but narrow and limited grasp, of Scriptural understandings of the Atonement, and the way Christ Jesus has brought us back to God. Suppose it comes from reading more about what the Bible says than actually reading the Bible. That brings me back Not to propitiation and expiation. But to how Jesus paid the price and took the penalty; AND healed and made whole our humanity that we might be changed in Him; AND sets a path and a pattern for us to follow in a life of ministry that joins us to His Cross and resurrection. And all of this is woven into the Biblical picture of Atonement. Got it? If not, ask the preacher to explain.