Translate

Friday 6 October 2017

3.1 That it is the duty ...

And He was handed the book of the prophet Isaiah. And when He had opened the book, He found the place where it was written: “The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed; To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD.” Then He closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all who were in the synagogue were fixed on Him. And He began to say to them, “Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.”
Luke‬ ‭4:17-21‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬

Born to be formed again in Christ Jesus, you are more than a customer called to consume God’s care and compassion for you. Constrained by the Holy Spirit, you are designed for discipleship.  You are a child of God. You share, in Christ, a common discipline and duty to work for the furthering of God’s Kingdom on earth. You are destined to shine with the reflected light of God, sharing this with those whose lives are wrecked, with grief and despair deep in their hearts. For you, identity and duty now walk hand in hand. When you embrace the truth that you are God’s treasured child, your destiny changes. Now, your delight is to pursue the realisation of the purposes and pleasure of your Heavenly Father. This will happen, through the empowering of the Holy Spirit within you and upon you, in the name of Jesus Christ your Lord. 

Think on it (Galatians 3.26-29). Your life is now in Christ’s life. The Holy Spirit, dwelling within you, would also come upon you, to empower you. All that Jesus represents and engaged in is now your reason for living. Embrace your election in Christ (2 Peter 1.10). Expect more (Ephesians 3.16-21). See God do so much good, in and through you (John 14.12).


Heavenly Father, I acknowledge that you see so much more potential in me, than I see in myself. Today, I receive the revelation, afresh, that you have made me your own, precious child. You have invested the treasure and wonder of heaven into me. Father, it is my delight to offer myself to do my duty as a child of Light. Take me and expend my life on earth for the glory and honour of your name, by the power of the Holy Spirit at work within me and as a disciple of Jesus Christ, my Lord. Amen