Translate

Monday 2 January 2012

not quite Captain America

OK. I admit it - I have neither seen nor intend to see the film - but I like a phrase in the Baptist Times review, which comments, 'God doesn't always chooses the brightest and best'. Really helpful reminder as I start this new ministry with the Baptist Union.

And also a reminder for all of us in positions of ministry and leadership. Sometimes we think we should be the brightest and best; or even that others should think of us in this way! Wrong on both accounts. 'I'm a loser who becomes a winner when my lives in Jesus'. That's better.

Better for each of us to think of ourselves this way: as wretched sinners, incapable of doing any decent thing by ourselves, but saved by the grace of God at work in our lives through Jesus Christ our Lord. If all of us can grasp this, then we might make some progress.