Translate

Tuesday 8 July 2014

I'm having problems with being a pastor

I'm having problems with being a pastor. Not with self-identity or ministry. With the word as a 'designation'. Forgive me, but I suspect it is usually used in a way quite foreign to Scripture. I mean, 'senior pastor', 'associate pastor', assistant pastor .......   What's all that about?

i suspect it is, albeit unwittingly, about power. Influence. Who calls the shots. Which is strange, when Jesus is about renunciation of status and repudiation of self-assertion.

I like the old word. The word everyone used in Scotland, until the mid-20th century. Minister. Minister, as in servant. Minister, as in self-giving and attentive to the commands of the master and the needs of the people. Yes. I want to be, quite simply, a minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Apostle, prophet, evanglist, pastor, teacher?

I'll let others decide on what extra name-tags might apply.