Translate

Monday 7 January 2013

TUNING IN

Recently, a new Christian wrote to me, asking about discerning the voice of God. Here is part of what I replied,

"Hearing from the Lord is like a TV channel 'tuning in': the signal strength can vary so much at times. This is due to us, not the Lord. Even as Christians, there is a lot of 'interference' that can come in and effect our lives. This is part of the challenge to holiness and consecration, in obedience and humility. which is part of the ongoing walk of discipleship.

This is a reality for us all. So I know that at times, where there is a hunger for the Lord in my life, combined with humility, holiness and obedience, the signal strength is likely to be strong. Sometimes I hear the Lord speaking so clearly to my heart! But I also know that I am still liable to sin, where rebellion, pride and sin can come into me: a struggle that continues throughout the Christian life. Certainly, the Spirit will and does liberate us from this; but we all, at times, are resistant to the Spirit and can slip back into at least partial bondage - whether we admit it or not!

This insight is especially important for us as born again Christians, where we take 'hearing from the Lord' seriously. The Holy Spirit is in our lives. We expect Christians to listen to God, and encourage all members of the church to share what they are hearing. So it is that we emphasise the importance of accountability to one another, and also the importance of discerning together, all part of the process of  'checking out' what the Lord is actually saying. My own experience over 37 years as a born again Christian is that we all tend to hear clearly in a 'percentage' way. So if I am hearing 70% right, then other Christians can help me see the bit I am getting right and also the bit I am getting wrong. And those appointed by the church to lead, such as pastors, are there to help us work out how much of the message we are hearing is really 'tuned in' with the Truth of Scripture and the way of Jesus Christ.

I am greatly encouraged by your humility and readiness to learn. May the Lord use you mightily. The process of discerning in a collaborative way is and should be exciting. Be prepared to be told, at times, that others think you have got it 100% right; 70% right; or even 100% wrong! But such a process gives us both freedom to share what we genuinely feel and also safeguards from misrepresenting the Lord. Embrace this approach, and you will be mightily blessed and used of God"

I will follow this with some more comments soon, for it it is a topic close to my heart right now. God really does speak to us! And the devil also really seeks to deceive us. There is a wisdom to be held on to here, that our forefathers were also well aware of and taught on.

As usual, there is nothing new under the sun .......