Translate

Friday 9 March 2012

A Word by any other name

Well, this issue is just not going away. But I'm getting somewhere. I've established that:

i. mission is not a New Testament Word
ii. I haven't got a clue what people mean when they talk about 'mission'
iii. I haven't heard anyone speak on 'mission' who sounds like they know what they are talking about!

Mmmm. Thank God for the Bible. For although the New Testament leads me to conclude that both mission and ministry are essentially aspects of 'service' (diakonia), it doesn't allow me to claim a word for 'mission'. Which confirms for me if we are to speak of mission we have to put it together from other words and actions found in the Bible. So let's try another line of Biblical thought, built around Jungel's affirmation that 'God's Being is in Becoming'. I like that concept. This is a entry to 'mission' that I can grasp. Let me explain.

A key text is Mark 3.14. There, we meet with the concept of 'apostles', often understood as 'sent out ones'. This is defined by the key verb in the verse, which comes at the end, which is translated in the NIV and NKJ as ' he might send'. So that part of the verse reads, 'so he might send then to proclaim / act as heralds'. Or, to represent the Greek verb, 'so that he might apostle-ise them to act as heralds', heralds of the Kingdom of God.

You see, mission is really based on what the Bible talks of what God does in calling us to be His people. Biblically, mission is not a concept but a sending that God does to people. God's mission comes through His becomingness towards others. And we are called to participate in it.

So here's the bottom line question: 'what are you becoming'? Then you'll discover what sort of mission you are on.