Translate

Tuesday 7 October 2008

A Song for the Rich Man


(Matthew 19.16-30)
You’ve called me to a path, O God
To walk on through this land
Through full atonement I’ve been bought
To serve the Risen Lamb
To one who shows me how it is
To praise and worship you
To touch the heights of heaven
And to really bring good news

Yes the selfish life I have walked
Looking for your blessed hand
To fill my bank and give me all
My fancies could demand
But now I see another way
That changes me inside
That lets the light of God break through
This stumbling sinner's mind

No easy path do I seek
To walk on through this land
You’ve called me to a different path
From the one instincts demand
No selfish life, no earthly place
Where I can feel secure
But a path that speaks of Calvary
And that reaches to the poor

I want to tell you now, O God
It’s no small thing you demand
For me on follow on the way
Of that Galilean band
Yet a journey from my bankrupcy
Entices me to life
To walk forever as a friend
Of the One called Jesus Christ

A Son of man He truly was
Right human to the core
But the Son of God He’s proved to be
Through all that He endured
With righteousness and justice
He faced the cunning rich
And from conflict with the darkness
He never once did flinch

So take me God and fill me
With your Holy Spirit’s power
And guide me now with those around
To walk His path right now
Help me to see and love the truth
That You’ve called me now to own
To bless and help and heal and serve
And carry your Shalom